Thursday, January 8, 2015

Chad, Carson, and CrossFit

Last Fall, our baseball organization sent out a text message stating that they were going to start doing CrossFit workouts as part of conditioning for spring ball.  They said in the text that all ages were welcome and parents were welcome to join in as well.  We met on the baseball field not sure what to expect.

#buttkicked

I went to one workout and was sore for a week.  All four of us did it- Caylee included.  Carson had trouble getting a glass from the cabinet.  What I liked about that workout was that when they did something, the instructor told us how it would help in baseball.

The Sunday workouts continued pretty much on a consistent basis (weather permitting and schedule permitting) and when they didn't work out as a group, Chad would pull up You Tube videos and he and Carson would do crossfit at home.  I didn't continue the workouts due to my running schedule and let's face it, I was just either lazy or doing something else.  ;)

Last night, we had our first "official" practice as a team and organization though Carson has been working one on one with the director on pitching and hitting.  We got there early and some of the older group was doing an impromptu crossfit workout.  As soon as we walked in the door, the instructor yelled for Carson to join in.  I failed to mention that Carson was the youngest crossfitter (is that a word?) in the group.  It took some coaxing from me (and maybe some force) but Carson joined in.   Side note: The lady next to me leaned over and said, "I think they wanted everyone to just sit and wait until they were finished."  LOL- I think she thought I was being pushy with Carson to join in.  She obviously didn't hear the instructor calling for Carson to join in.  I am sure she thinks I am an awful mother.  Oh well!

I snapped a pic and a video of what Carson did.   No, he didn't move the big tire but it didn't choose the smallest one either.  I was shocked at how he could jump on the box.  I can't even do that.  He has come a long way since the fall.  I don't know what will happen with baseball season but I know the organization we are with now seems to be a good fit for him.  We told him last night that we want him to have fun and learn the game.  I haven't shared our story as to how we got to where we are and I don't plan on it right now.  It is a private story and that story has been written and ended.




2 comments:

  1. Way to go, Carson! Those box jumps will wear. you. OUT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was impressed at his skills! He did get his first box jump injury on Saturday. He scraped his shin up pretty good. Battle scars!

      Delete