Monday, February 16, 2015

Valentine Weekend Recap

Greetings from Casa Mac!

We are expected to get between 4-9 inches of snow later today.

#snowpocalypse2K15

It is supposed to get so bad that they called off the kids' school LAST NIGHT AT 8PM.  For those of you new to my blog and don't live where we do, our kids attend a city school system.  The system is known for NEVER calling off school- some blame it on the fact that we live in the Eastman bubble.  Eastman is a large chemical plant in our area and the chemicals cover the area with a warm blanket.  Any who, there is a new superintendent now and he is much more conservative in calling off school.  He would rather air on the side of caution and safety as opposed to having school then dismissing early.  That happened the first year he was on the job and you thought the whole town was ready to march on city hall!  Anyway, this was the scene last night as we received the phone call:
Lots of screaming and jumping up and down.  #atleastonekidhasonmatchingpajamas

Let's back up to Valentine's weekend.....

My Valentine's weekend started Thursday morning.  As you may have read, last week was one heck of a week for me.  Thursday morning, I volunteered at the school like always and then went to Target.  Before walking into the store, I checked my email and saw this:

A truly sweet internet friend send me a little card and a cup of coffee.   Jenna was a little piece of Heaven right there in the Target parking lot.   When I left the house that morning, I was very concerned about Tank, our black lab.  He is very old and was having trouble getting up.  Chad and I both know that our time with him is short yet we aren't ready to say goodbye to him.  That worry plus everything else of the week had worn me down.  I was mentally and physically exhausted and to see that sweet email gave me the boost I needed.  When I returned home, Tank seemed back to his normal self.  Chad thinks it was just a fluke and he may have laid down on his leg wrong and it went to sleep.  Everything was fine, just as her card said.  ;)  

I treated Carson to a Starbie's cake pop that afternoon.  Confession: I had a salted caramel and it was divine!  Carson wants me to learn how to make them.  Carson and I will have a Starbie's date once a month on Thursdays while Caylee is at dance but we were able to have another date thanks to Jenna! I am pretty sure Carson thinks Jenna is the coolest now!  

Friday, Chad and I went on an early Valentine date.  We went to Macado's and to the grocery store.  Nothing says I love you like a trip to the grocery store!  I honestly wasn't feeling all lovey- earlier in the day I dealt with an issue with both kids (I'll spare details) that just made me mad.  By the time Friday night rolled around, I seriously just wanted to be alone.  I would not admit that to Chad and it was nice to just hang with him but I felt like I had nothing left.  I had no gas in the tank.  I was simply exhausted but it was nice to simply hang with Chad without the kids.  I feel like I dealt with the gamut of parenting woes this past week- and I handled it all by myself while Chad was out of town.  

Saturday morning, I received the best Valentine's gift a boy mom could get- Carson learned how to clean toilets!!!!!!  He has no aim and two of the toilets in our house get pretty nasty pretty quickly.  We decided it was time Carson learned how to clean up after himself.  When he realized how nasty the toilet was, he asked Chad, "who made this mess?"  Chad's response, "that would be you, son."  The day ended with a trip to Dick's Sporting Goods and to Barberito's.
My Valentine's before heading out.  Notice Caylee's straight hair.  She loves it!

Catching snowflakes at Barb's.

My two favorite boys


Sunday morning, Chad and I started taking a parenting class at our church.  I think it will be  a good class.  What I realized yesterday is that I need to be a better model for Carson and Caylee.  It is so simple and I knew that but I don't practice it.  It is something that I plan to work on.  We spent the rest of the day prepping for the snow.  I went to the grocery store and did some little projects here at home.  We ended the night by allowing Elmer to come inside for the first time.  That was an experience.  Wild puppy, cold night, wild kids excited for no school, and a 14 year old black lab. WHEW!  
This is Tank doing what he does best: sleeping

Elmer finally calmed down.  We brought up the other bed from the basement and he finally realized how nice it is!



Well, that is about it for me!  My little brain is already working overtime on what I can do to keep the kiddos occupied today!  First up, cleaning up the playroom!!!!  

Happy Monday!


3 comments:

  1. Enjoy your rare snow day!!! I know I am! I'm taking the day off and plan on doing until it's time to play in the snow, make snow cream, and make breakfast for dinner!

    Your coffee surprise was so nice!! So thoughtful. These little acts of kindness make the world a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your kids enjoy the snow! Also, hilarious about your son and the toilets...a valuable lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just now reading this!!! <3 it was my pleasure!! Glad Carson thinks I am cool and your week turned around! :)

    ReplyDelete