Friday, April 3, 2015

Spring Breakin': Part I

Things I love about Spring Break:

  • Not having to make two trips into town everyday.  The trip isn't bad but it does get old!
  • No alarm clock!
  • No homework
  • No routine
  • Time to catch up on little things that can't get done otherwise
We have been Spring Breakin' it this week.  Instead of doing a Five on Friday, I thought I would do a Spring Break recap.  

Our break started off  FRIGIDLY COLD.  Carson had two baseball games on Saturday morning.  I think the temperature was in the upper twenties.  We arrived at the field and told Carson to go on to warm up with his team while the rest of us sat in the car.  While they were warming up, little white fluffy things fell from the sky.  UNBELIEVABLE.  I have never been so cold at a baseball game.  I told Chad that it is simply wrong to have to wear three layers of clothes and UGG boots to a baseball game!  One of our moms said if we ever heard of her complain about it being hot, we needed to slap her.  They can slap me too!  

Carson was so cold.  He had on three layers of clothes but it wasn't enough in the thirty degree weather!



I plan on doing an entire post on baseball but I am still getting my thoughts about it together.  I want to talk about it because this blog is about our life and the circumstances surrounding baseball has taught us a big life lesson; however, I don't want my post to come across as negative or mean toward others involved.  I have prayed about how I want to share our story and am waiting for God to send me the right words.  


Since this was our first tournament and first time playing together as a team, I had no idea how things would go.  Actually, our only expectation for Carson is that he has fun, puts forth good effort, and is a good teammate.  Our expectations were met this weekend.  He had fun, gave good effort, and was a great teammate.  The coach's wife came up to me Sunday morning and told me how much they were enjoying getting to know Carson.  She said that her husband (the head coach) commented the previous night that he liked how Carson was an encourager to the other players and that he appreciated that.  My heart burst with pride.  That is better than any trophy on a shelf!
Please notice the eye black art.  I was scrolling thru Instagram and saw a post that Sam's mom did  on Monday.  Sam had the same eye black design as Carson.  Carson saw that Sam did his eyeblack this way last season and ever since, he's worn this design.  

We ended up winning our first game but losing our second two.  The boys had no reason to hang their heads because they played great.  We lost one game by 4 runs and the other by 2.  The biggest surprise to me was the base stealing.  It is so hard to get on base with first year kid pitching so once they get on, they are making more steals than a bank robber!  

Carson has come a long way since last season.  One thing he really struggled with was fear of getting hit.  He still has that fear a little, but he got hit in practice last week by another kid pitching to him so I think that fear has lessened.  Last year, one of the reasons Carson's was cut was that he kept stepping out of the batter's box due to that fear.  Well, this past weekend, Chris praised Carson for staying in the batter's box (other kids did go out of the box) so he used Carson as an example.  This was HUGE for him.  He was able to get a hit and was able to bring a kid home in our first game.  I call that success!

Stay tuned for more Spring Break fun that involves dancing on the US Capitol building steps!


No comments:

Post a Comment