Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Master Bedroom and Closet Reveal!!!!!!

This project began around mid February and FINALLY today, I can call it 99% complete.  WHEW!

My sweet Mama actually started this project for us when we were talking about how I'd like to redo my bedroom.  We hadn't touched it since we moved in nine years ago.  In fact, we haven't done very much to the house since moving in so it is {past} time.   I had just a plain white comforter on the bed and no window treatments.  In my thirteen years of marriage, I've never had window treatments because we could just never find something we liked.  BT- Before Tina, Chad hung a black sleeping bag over his windows in his apartment to keep light out.

My mom started shopping for new bedding for us and we finally found one that Chad and I agreed on.  It is so hard shopping for something both parties like!  I thought that was the hardest part but the biggest challenge was trying to match paint up!  After about ten trips (no lie) to different paint stores, we found the perfect shades of "greige" {a mix of beige and gray}.  I will note all of the details at the end of the post.

Here is a before:- even with the new bedding.  I couldn't find a pic of my other bedding.


And this is what it looks like today.


I took the above picture standing in the doorway.  
When you enter the room, there is a little alcove that I had big plans for when we built the house.  The fireplace and built in shelving is on the other side of the wall and they way they were designed, this wall had to be slanted.  All it is right now is a place to grow some dust bunnies but I hope to add a big vase with lighted branches soon.

I need accessories BIG TIME.  I have some picture frames that I hadn't placed back on the dresser yet because they need to be cleaned and polished (they are silver).  I like the TV mounted on the wall but it would be nice if we can frame it in somehow.  I am also looking for a lamp for the dresser.  

 This is where I am stuck.  I am not sure if I should buy another set of paneled curtains and have each window with their own curtains or keep this area framed in.  I also need candles!  See, this is why I said only 99% done!
 We have five windows and a door leading out to the patio in our room.  See why I was so excited to get window treatments?
 I am also wanting to add something over the bed.  I thought about some artwork but nothing stands out to me.   I still have a couple of pictures to hang- I need to spray paint their frames.  Speaking of spray paint, has anyone ever taken the handles off of furniture and spray painted them?  I love my bedroom furniture but I want to make the gold handles silver but am afraid if I take them off and spray paint them, I will ruin them.  What should I do?  Everything else in the room is silver and I feel like the handles stick out like sore thumbs.  Eventually, I want to add a rug in here as well.


One more question- do I add a valence over the patio door blinds or leave them like they are pictured?  I need to hire a decorator but I have a champagne taste on a beer budget!

This room is one thousands times prettier than it was before.  I think once I get my accessories, I can put the stamp of completion on it!

When we did the remodel, we also painted the bathroom walls and the master closet walls.  Chad and I did the master closet ourselves and my mother hooked me up with a painter to do the bathroom and my bedroom.  I am glad we painted the closet but it was a lot of trouble.  We took the closet maid system down, labeled every little piece, and my dad and father in law reinstalled for me.  I think I lost favorite daughter in law points over that!   It was a challenge to get it back together! :)

The master closet is off of the master bath.  Here is a couple of  before shots:

I posted the first picture on instagram.  The kids had gone with Chad's parents to a soccer game two hours from here.  We joked that some couples have romantic evenings out when their kids are gone and we paint!



And this is what my closet looks like now:
 While I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to go to IKEA and build a brand new closet system, it just isn't in the cards.

This is my dream closet:




#champagnetaste #beerbudget

I did switch out ALL of our wire, messy, ugly hangers to plastic ones.  The OCD in me would love to have all white but I already had some that were colored so I ran with it.  I REALLY wanted those Huggable Hangers but again, champagne and beer!  :)  

You will notice that my hangers are backwards- that is because I am trying to broaden my outfits of choice.  I wear the same things over and over and I read somewhere to try this and then in six months is clothes are still on the backwards hanger, get rid of them.  I did clean out the closet before we reinstalled to and logged it in my 40 bags in 40 days, which is turning into 100s of bags in six months!  I am tracking what I bag but there is no way I will have it done by Easter Sunday!  Oh, and you might notice some electrical tape...  I found this idea on Pinterest- tape shower hooks to a hanger for tank tops.  GENIUS!  
 I am loving my baskets in my closet.  I spray painted them to match my greige motif!
 I also set up a little jewelry station in my closet.  I was tired of getting dressed then walking to the bedroom for jewelry then back to the closet to see how I looked.  This made sense so I did it.  The bowl holds my watches and bracelets and belonged to my grandmother.  The white boxes are for earrings and the baby powder is for my hair- HA!


Boy does it feel good to get this project crossed off the never ending to do list!  I cleaned like a mad woman today just so I could take pictures and as soon as I took the pictures, I went back to my daily duty and my bed looked like this:

ceiling paint: Benjamin Moore Abalone
walls: Benjamin Moore Silver Fox
Bedding and Curtains: Liz Claiborne Kourtney from JC Penney

Thanks for stopping by and thanks in advance for decor input!


1 comment:

  1. Love the new bedroom. My mom has a window like yours ( where jewelry stand is) and she put one more valance between them. Makes it look like a large window, but there are two. LaCosta

    ReplyDelete