Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Life Lately: May Part II

This post has been sitting in draft form since the 6th day of June.  I start writing then get sidetracked. #squirrel

I so wish I could get in the habit of blogging every day or every couple of days.  I was much better about keeping a blog when the kids were smaller.

#dontaskmehow
#iwasbusythentoo

Anywho, I am back with a recap of what the rest of May looked like.

I will start with a look back at a couple of baseball tournaments.  Can I begin by saying that I LOVE watching our team play?  I LOVE even more that we don't play every weekend.  I think last year they played fifty-something games and by this time of year, we were all burnt out.  NOT THIS YEAR!!  We were told by the DE owners that they didn't want the boys to play every weekend because they didn't want them to get burnt out, they want them to be ready and excited to play, and they wanted them wanting to come back for more.  Their psychology worked because Carson is exactly that.  I have talked a little about the differences in him this year (and I plan on doing a whole blog post about our experience and how we got to DE).  We are content with baseball.

Somebody got some time on the  mound in May!
Carson has been working with a pitching coach.  When he was cut, we were told that he needed to work on pitching since the next level would need lots of pitchers (hey, the previous coach was right about something!)  His pitching has improved but he isn't the best pitcher on the team.  He needs consistency and it will come.  His throwing overall has gotten much better.  He is much more accurate and has gotten a stronger arm.  Also, his pitching coach has been working on all aspects of baseball with him.  It is a win-win!

That weekend, and every weekend since, we have made it to the championship game.  We have said all season long that it isn't about the trophy or how many games you win, but it is how you play the game and HOW you take the wins and losses.  This is the biggest change I have seen in Carson.  He is such a great sport and teammate.  He is constantly encouraging his teammates (and the other team too!) and his effort is ten fold what it was last year.  After watching Sam play his last HS game at home, we challenged Carson to sprint from the dugout to center (his position, and Sam's) as hard as he could at every fielding inning.  Sam does this.  It is a sign of being a leader and mental readiness.  Once Carson started doing this, he became more alert and ready to play defense.  A small act made a big impact.  What cracks me up is that he looks just like Sam running out.  ;) Sam told him NEVER to step on the foul line because it is bad luck- guess who jumps over the foul line?! I want to try to get this on video!  I'll close the baseball update with some more pictures!

SAFE!  And a run scored!


Pregame meal at Cookout


One weekend, we played Carson's first travel ball team in a championship game.  Most of the kids on that team had to move up to the other age bracket but two boys are still in the same age bracket as Carson.  One of the boys is this coach's son.  This is Jay.  Jay was an assistant coach for Carson's team and was by far the kindest one.  Jay reached out to us when Carson was cut and offered words of encouragement (i.e.: WHY?  You don't do that to a nine year old.) and offered Carson a spot on his team. Carson had already tried out for DE but hadn't heard yet so he practiced with the Rebels.  Jay was understanding when we told him Carson had chosen DE.  After the game, Carson and Jay shook hands and Carson hugged him.  Jay told him he was proud of Carson.  Made my Mama heart smile.  We are thankful for Jay's encouragement!  



Next up was the end of the school year.  The end of the year is bittersweet for me.  I am ready for them to get out of school but it is an adjustment having them with me all day long.  Don't get me wrong, I love it but it does take a few weeks to adjust!  I walked out to the car on the last day of school and saw this.  Um, no.  Carson's face looks a little worried!  I am not ready for my kids to drive!

Caylee and her fabulous and beautiful teacher, Mrs. Meade.  Carson had her as well so she is family to us.  We love her!

Carson and his awesome teacher, Mrs. Hammond.  Fun fact: Carson's great aunt Carolyn hired Mrs. Hammond!  


Fast forward to DB graduation.  Carson and I got up early on recital morning to watch Sam graduate. Carson took the baseball that Aaron, DB's catcher, gave him at a game and had the seniors sign it.  Love it!


This is Sam "fake signing".  He had already signed the ball (Carson got his first of course) but I made him pretend to sign so I could get a picture.
I love these two boys! 
After Sam's graduation party, it was time to kick it in recital mode.  Caylee was in both recitals this year- her hip hop dance was in both shows.  Saturday was a long day but oh so worth it!



The morning after recital, we headed to Charleston, SC to get on a boat!!!  That week leading up to the cruise was a blur.  In five days, we (1) ended the school year; (2) had recital rehearsals; (3) went to Sam's graduation and his party; (4) did recital; (5) packed for a cruise; (6) drove to Charleston.  I am sure I am forgetting something.  To say I was exhausted was an understatement.  I remember thinking that I couldn't wait to get on the boat so that I could sleep (and sleep on a cruise is the best sleep ever!)

I am going to do a post on the cruise separately.  I also still need to do my big baseball post (how we got to where we are) AND Carson's birthday post!  YIKES!

No comments:

Post a Comment