Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Cruisin' Part I: Charleston and Embarkation Day

The morning after recital, my parents, kids, and I loaded up the Grand Cherokee and drove to Charleston for a five day cruise to the Bahamas.  I have been bitten by the cruise bug- I want to do another one.  I am going to recap our cruise in stages.  I hope to do a post on tips and tricks from cruising that I learned via Pinterest or on the boat.

We drove to Charleston a day early because I had never been and I wanted to see the city.  We didn't get to see much of the city because my mom wasn't feeling well but I liked what I saw.  I would love to take a weekend getaway to Charleston with Chad (heck, I'd love to take a getaway anywhere with Chad.  Seems like we rarely see each other these days).  What I did see of the city was beautiful.  

As soon as we got there, we ate at Bubba Gump's.  It was ok- I would have rather had something "local" but we were so hungry that we went with something that we knew would probably be good.  I was disappointed in the food and service.  Our server was high- I am certain of it.  
My darling daughter loved to crack the crab legs but wouldn't eat them.  

After lunch, we walked The Market.  I definitely want to visit there again.  It was very crowded when we were there and I can't shop when it is crowded.  I can't shop when I have two kids in tow.  The Market had some beautiful things and I would have loved to have spent more time there (if I had money).  After the market, we got some yummy ice cream at Kilwin's.  SO. GOOD.  Speaking of ice cream, I decided that I wasn't going to stress too much about my weight on this trip.  I decided that I would try to stay active but also eat within reason.  As you know, food on a cruise is bountiful.  More on that later.

We checked into the hotel and my mom pretty much crashed so I took the kids to the pool to get out energy.  The hotel wasn't anything to write home about- in fact, I was very irate at the travel agent mom used to book our trip (sidetone: you can book a cruise without the help of a travel agent).  He got us a room at the Holiday Inn in Mt. Pleasant.  He quoted us a rate that was over one hundred bucks MORE that what we could have gotten on Priceline.  (insert mad emoji here)  When I looked at the hotel website, it said that parking was free.  Our travel agent stated that the price of the room included the parking so that we could leave our car there and we would be shuttled to the port.  That was the only thing that worked well for that leg of the trip.  It was nice to be taken right to the bus that took us to the warehouse to embark.  

That night, I went to the Fresh Market to pick up dinner for the kids.  The adults weren't hungry but I wanted something healthy for the kids.  The Fresh Market was to die for!  They had a brick oven right there in the store and were making pizzas.  I wasn't the least bit hungry so I nibbled off the vegetable plate I got for the kids.  (Side note: Can our town PLEASE get a Fresh Market?)  After dinner, we basically just watched TV and read and went to bed early.  I was exhausted from all the other events leading up to the trip.  

The next morning, we had breakfast in the hotel.  We had three hours to kill before the shuttle left for the port so we drove over to a park.  I don't think it was Battery Park- I can't remember the name of it.  Oh well, it was nice to walk around!


Doesn't every baseball player practice pitching in a gazebo in Charleston?

Finally, at noon, we were ready to head to the boat.  I was so excited but nervous too.  I always get nervous when I go thru security. I mean, I know I don't pack anything questionable but it still scares me.  Plus, having the kids with me added to the stress.  We passed security with flying colors and was ready to stand in the mile long line to check in.  You couldn't take pictures in this area (which was a warehouse, by the way).  The wait didn't take that long but it felt like forever due to the excitement.  When we got up to the holding spot for the next available attendant, Carson told the lady he wanted to be checked in by the lady at the number 15 window, because duh!  ;)  We got window 16.  

Before our trip Mr. Travel Agent told me I had to have all this documentation to leave the country with the kids.  I had to have:
  • my drivers license (check)
  • my marriage license (check)
  • birth certificates for all (check)
  • A NOTORIZED note from Chad saying I had his permission to leave the country with his children SAY WHAT?  I birthed them! Why do I need his permission?! ;)
I gathered all documents but the only documents the lady needed was my driver's license and birth certificates for us.  The lady never asked me where the children's father was.  Oh well.  We got our sign and sail card, had our pictures made, and headed up the ramp to board!

As soon as we got on the boat, we headed down to our room.  I knew it would be small so I was prepared in that regard.  Honestly, I really liked the accommodations.  It was plenty for the three of us.  It was clean too!  I slept on the bed in the picture and the kids had the bunk bed (but that top bed hadn't been pulled down yet).  Our luggage wasn't in the room yet but the kids already had on their swimsuits so we headed up to the Lido Deck for lunch and swimming.  We also had to do the mandatory meeting where they tell you what to do in case of the boat sinking.  Carson was a little freaked out by this but as soon as it was over, they cranked the music up to get us pumped up to sail!

This is where we spent 90% of our time.  The one compliant I have about this boat was that the pool was about the size of the dugout.  It was more of a lounging pool for grownups.  I think I have a picture of it for another post/day.  

I love this picture of the kids and my dad with the Cooper River Bridge (I think that is the name of it) in the background.


Every night, we loved coming back to the room to find the towel animals.  Definitely a highlight!
 

We played on the water slides until time to get dressed for dinner.  I think I forgot to take pictures the first night.  After dinner, we went up to the Camp Carnival kick off party.  I registered the kids for camp at home but they ended up not going at all.  They didn't want to- and I don't blame them.  There weren't that many kids on the boat.  We participated in a dance off between parents and kids.  Guess who brought home the medal for Best Dancing Mom?  Yup- Mama Mac.  #thankyouacademyofdancearts

I still have so much to talk about.  It was a great trip- it was awkward at times for me, I must admit.  I was on a boat with honeymooners, college grads, LOTS of couples traveling together.... and it was me and the kids.  Don't get me wrong, I loved the time with them and the time with my parents but it was awkward.  

Stay tuned for our first full day at sea! 


No comments:

Post a Comment